Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Fish Tacos with Lime Cream Sauce



Sometimes I get bored at home. When I get bored, I decide to cook. This often involves me looking around for what I have that needs to be used before it spoils. A couple of weeks ago, I had a few things that needed to be used and I decided to use them together. The result was fish tacos. They're really quick - and more importantly - really tasty. They're also easy to customize if you want to make it your own.

I started with some fresh tilapia - again, it's what I had. Tilapia is fairly flavor neutral as far as fish go, and is healthy. Wild-caught Tilapia are the best (nutrition-wise). I drizzled a little olive oil, lime juice, and some of the Chris Hastings (of Hot-and-Hot Fish Club and Iron Chef America fame) herb salt on it before baking it. I had recently bought some and hadn't used it yet. Any kind of your favorite fish seasoning would work just fine. The lime juice will begin to denature the protein in the fish and allow the spices to really penetrate the meat. If you leave it on too long before cooking, it can make the fish tough.  Try these out and let me know what you think!


Ingredients:
1 lb. Tilapia (or favorite mild fish)
Herb Salt (or favorite fish seasoning)
Olive Oil
1/2 red onion, large diced
Tri-Color Cole Slaw (green & red cabbage, carrots)
Small flour tortillas, steamed
3 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 cup olive oil mayonnaise
1/4 cup cream
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
Cilantro, chopped


Preparation:
Drizzle some olive oil (about 1 tablespoon), lime juice, and spices/seasoning/herb salt on the fish. A pound should be 3 or 4 fillets. You should bake these for 10-12 minutes at 375° 


Lime Cream Sauce
In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, remaining lime juice, chile powder, and cream. Whisk until it begins to set some. You may want to add a touch more cream as needed for it to thin out to your desired consistency. Add salt, pepper, and cilantro to taste. If you like your food spicy, you can kick in some more of the chipotle powder, or change it over to a smoke paprika... Or add cayenne.



Tacos: The rest is simple. Flake the fish apart, and build your tacos. The amount of each ingredient is up to personal preference. Throw in the fish, the slaw mix, some red onions, and top it with the lime cream sauce.


That's it! Quick, healthy, and tasty. I've been thinking about recreating these with mahi and maybe a mango salsa. Maybe after FoodBlog South this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment